Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 16, 2011-August


Who ever said "God will never give you more than you can handle" was apparently not given very much on their plate.

My son August is autistic. I should only have to stop at that sentence right there for you to know what we go through each and every day. I will go on to humor those of you who really have no clue.

They say every autistic child is different...that finding two exactly the same would be like finding two identical snowflakes on your window. Every person comes with their own set of "quirks" and challenges. They each have things that they can excel at and other things that they can't quite grasp the concept of. The spectrum range is so wide that while one maybe completely nonfuctional (1), another maybe just one step below a "normal" person (100). August is somewhere in the 65-70 range.

I love my son...I love every ounce of him. However, to say that there are days that he completely stresses me out would be an understatement. He has come along way in his 10 years of life. He was nonverbal English and pretty much had his own language. I truly wondered if he would ever actually talk to where we'd be able to understand him. Thankfully once he started school, between all his therapists, he can converse with us now...although, you do have to ask him to repeat a lot.

Things can be flowing smoothly with him one day and them BAM, you hit a wall the next. Things have to go the way he expects, so don't screw with his routine. God have mercy on you if you change his routine. Its these days that really, really make me wonder what God was thinking giving ME an autistic child. However, once the day is over, Augi has returned to his version of normal....it hits me... I was given him because while Augi lives in his own mental chaos, he fits in with my life of chaos. At the end of the day, he's still alive, happy, and I'm another day in on learning how to deal with something else.

I don't give up on him and will never give up on him. I care for him and love him.....its all he really needs in this life. He is a special kid and my life wouldn't be the same without him even with all his little quirks.

No comments: