Saturday, June 16, 2012

June 16, 2012--Pippi

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~ Roger Caras. 

I, like many people across the globe, am a pet owner.  I own not just any pet though, I have a dog.  Not a cat, not a bird, not a hamster....a dog.  As a matter of fact, I own two dogs...but this post is only about one.

Pippi is my pet...she is my companion. She is one of my friends....as a matter of fact, she is probably my best friend.  She loves me, but I wouldn't say unconditionally though.  She, as most dogs do, expects the basic necessities to survive in return....that I am grateful to give. 

Pippi is Jack Russell mix, who came into my life in November of 2007.  Our neighbors friends had found her when she was only a new pup, wandering the busy streets in Fayetteville.  She was, at first, our neighbors dog.  They would put her outside and let her run around all day.....it was freezing outside.  During the first week they had her, she spent a lot of time in my house.  During the second week, she became my dog.  We took her to the vet, who determined that she was only was born around in September...so that meant when she was found running around, she was only 7-8wks old. Not sure how a pup that small ends up running around a small city...but she had been. There was no one trying to locate her, so either they didn't care, or turned her loose on purpose.

When I chose Pippi's name, I didn't name her my usual list of dog names.  August, at the time, wasn't very verbal.  He could say puppy pretty well, so I thought I'd go with something easy for him... so Pippi it was.  I've always loved Pippi Longstocking, and since this dog had explored so much for a pup her size, and overcame so many obstacles with no fear.... Pippi seemed perfect.  

Pippi is now almost 5 years old.  In dog years that makes her 32-33 years old....she is almost my age.  She is showing her age very well, as she no longer wants to run off through the neighborhood.  Now if she manages to escape, instead of trying to elude you, she rolls over with this "screw that, take me back inside please" look.  lol.  She is still playful, but prefers long walks than playing with a ball.  She will lay by me any chance she gets...if I am in the computer chair, she'll lay in the floor at my feet.  She has become a lap dog I guess you could say.  It's amazing how much love you can have for a dog...... I guess I shouldn't call her a dog...perhaps four-legged human would be better.   

I know there is a day that I will no longer have Pippi.....because dogs have been given short life spans unfairly.  Luckily for me, Pippi has a life span of around 12-15 years...so with that in mind, as long as we keep her healthy and well cared for, I have another 7-10 years.  Which, I guess in the grand scheme, is a good amount of time compared to other breeds who have much shorter spans.   No matter how much time she has left, I will love her and cherish  her always....even when her sands have ran out, she will always be in my heart. 


<3

No comments: